Beef Nihari Recipe
Beef Nihari Recipe
1. Dhania sabit (coriander) 2 tbs
2. Saunf (fennel seeds) 4 tbs
3. Tez pata (bay leaves) 2
4. Kali mirch sabit (black pepper) 1 tbs
5. Long (cloves) 1 tbs
6. Jaifil (nutmeg) small piece
7. Javitri (mace) small piece
8. Kala zeera (black cumin) ½ tbs
9. Zeera (cumin seeds) 1 tbs
10. Badi elaichi (black cardamom) 4
11. Elaichi (green cardamom) 4
12. Long pepper (peepli) 2 sticks
13. Sonth (dried ginger) small piece 1 tsp
14. Badiyan ke phool (star anise) 2
15. Daarchini (cinnamon sticks) 2
16. Namak (salt) 1 ½ tbs or to taste
17. Lal mirch (red chili) powder 1 tbs
18. Dhania (coriander) powder 2 tbs
19. Haldi (turmeric) 1 tsp
20. Kahsmiri mirch powder 1tbs
21. Nihari : • Oil ½ cup
22. Beef bong 1 kg + bones ½ kg
23. Adrak (ginger) paste 1 tbs
24. Lehsan (garlic) paste 1 tbs
25. Atta (whole wheat flour) 1/3 cup
26. Water 1 cup
27. Special nihari masala 100 gms
28. Pani (water) 2 ltr (2-3 inches above ingredients)
29. Flour mixture • Atta (flour) 4 tbs + pani (water) ½ cup (add if required)
30. Tarri: • Oil 2 cup
31. Kashmiri lal mirch 2 tbs
32. Garnish: • Adrak (ginger) finely chopped
33. Hari mirch (green chilies)
34. Hara dhania (coriander leaves)
35. Lemon juice
1. To make special Nihari masala, add all whole ingredients in the blender and grind them finely. Add remaining spices and shake well, Special nihari masala is ready.. Make Nihari masala ahead of time and store it in airtight jar.
2. To make Nihari, heat oil in pressure cooker and add beef and bones and fry for 2-3 mins. Add ginger garlic and fry on high flame for 1-2 mins. Add ¾ cup of nihari masala and mix well. Add 2 liters of water and bring it to boil. Make sure you add enough water to dip all the ingredients. In a separate bowl dissolve 1/3 cup flour in 1 cup water and add to nihari and boil for 2-3 minutes. Now close pressure cooker and cook for 60-70 minutes.
3. To prepare tarri, heat oil in a pan and add Kashmiri lal mirch mix for 30 seconds and dish out. Set aside.
4. Turn off flame and open pressure cooker. Follow pressure cooker safety guidelines. Check meat and consistency of gravy. If required, dissolve flour in water and add to nihari and cook until desired consistency.
5. Nihari is ready. Tarri can be added directly to the pan or serve with nihari.
6. To serve, add nihari in a bowl, pour tarri, garnish with julienne cut ginger, chopped green chilies, lemon and chopped coriander.
7. Originally nihari is not prepared in pressure cooker. If someone doesn’t wish to use pressure cooker, follow same process and after adding water and few boil, lower the flame and let it cook for 5-6 hour until meat is very tender. Once its done, follow the last step of nihari.