Chilli Salt Prawns
Chilli Salt Prawns Recipe
1) 2 tbs plain flour
2) 2 tbs rice flour
3) 1 tbs salt
4) 2 tsp white pepper
5) 2 tsp chilli powder
6) 1 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
7) 2L (8 cups) peanut oil
8) 18 (about 1kg) green large king prawns,
9) peeled leaving tails intact,
11) 6 sprigs fresh coriander
12) Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Combine the plain flour, rice flour, salt, white pepper, chilli powder and Chinese five spice in a bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with 5 layers of paper towel. Place the oil in a large saucepan or wok. Heat to 190°C over medium heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 10 seconds).
3. Place one-quarter of prawns in the flour mixture. Toss to coat. Shake off excess. Add to the oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the lined tray. Place in oven to keep warm. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with flour mixture and remaining prawns, reheating oil between batches.
4. Add the coriander to the oil and cook for 10 seconds or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Place prawns on a serving platter. Top with coriander. Serve with lemon wedges.